View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: AQs 2 spots off final table (deep) in FT $24+2 KO

[ QUOTE ]
so yea, no hand history or number stats, but a little bit of background info, it was a 741 person knockout tourney with 11 players left, about to see a 85% pay jump at final table (9 players)- villain was very shortstacked about 20 minutes prior to the hand in question and went on a bit of a desperate, aggressive rush, shoving in large (or entire) amounts of his stack in preflop 5-6 times that i can remember, getting called down twice and dubbing each time with a weak ace and a small pocket pair, stealing blinds two or three times from mid and late position and folding once from mid position to a RR out of the big blind. my table image was solid and dangerous as a panzer at the time, so apart from the fact therefore that suspicion of weakness is not a factor in his decision, it's kind of irrelevant.

so anyway, here goes a condensed but suitable version, the table is now playing 6handed-

avg stack: 135,000
hero (seat 1): 78,000
villain (seat 5): 81,000
blinds: 2,500/5,000 with antes

hero: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
- <font color="green"> utg </font> folds
- <font color="red"> villain </font> opens pot for 4x raise of 20k
- <font color="green"> CO </font> folds
- <font color="green"> button </font> folds
- <font color="blue"> hero </font> shoves from small blind for 77k
- <font color="green"> big blind </font> folds
- <font color="red"> villain </font> snap calls and shows A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

and i'm sure you can figure out what happened from there

i like my play, the final table payout bump was really nice, the best % increase so far, but i wanted to win more than i wanted to just make final table...so without getting into my logic, i felt like my options here were thin at best, but i hate so much to get it in w/ AQ that i wanted to see what any of you guys thought. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall...this analysis shows that you are thinking about variables that (could) affect your decision here. One thing that's missing however, is an opening range for villain. The other variables should be treated as secondary, and the main question should be: how much equity your hand has against his range. You should also consider/factor in the fact that u might not have much FE here (villain will get almost 2 to 1 to call your shove) as well. FWIW, i think this is a shove, but get into the habit of assigning a range, it's makes analyzing hands much more productive.