View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Air travel security is retarded - why?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It is laughable to put any credence...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We cannot keep improvised weapons out of prisons, we have no chance of doing it on commercial airlines.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, just dedicating the resources we do to TSA instead of general intelligence is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the type of language I'm talking about. It demonstrates a lack of understanding a few key security concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please expand.

Specifically for the checking of boarding passes when going through the metal detector.

Because in that case I truly think that it is laughable to put faith in a boarding pass I can print out myself (and my extension, manipulate easily).

I will concede that it makes sense procedurally to cut down on the number of people requiring screening by limiting access to passengers.

But if there is a real use for having me walk through the metal detector with a piece of paper I printed myself and handled myself between someone matching it against a government issued ID, I will stop calling it laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you think you can print a machine readable boarding pass that is ALSO going to get you past the gate reading machine, then sure. If not, what are you accomplishing by printing your own boarding pass?

I've already commented on the necesity of ID checks for assuring the accuracy of passenger manifests. I don't see how a simple ID match to boarding pass hurts security or inconvenience. What it does prevent is someone stealing your boarding pass in the airport and attempting to then get thru security and onto the plane. The TSA checkpoints are far better setup to handle any who did as opposed to leaving it to the airline employee at the gate.