View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Full Ring vs. Short Handed SNGs

Quick background: Right now I play the 9-handed $33+3 turbos on full tilt. I've had reasonable success... haven't played enough to know for sure, but my ROI is probably in the 10-12% range.

Anyway, recently I was talking to a good friend who is convinced that short handed (6 handed) SNGs are the way to go. He claimed the players were worse, there were more opportunities to force people to try to play poker and let them make mistakes, less luck involved, less variance etc. Basically he said that its possible to sustain a MUCH higher ROI, somewhere in like the 20-25% range, and the tourneys tend to be short leading to a big increase in hourly rate.

Does anyone out there play the 6-handed SNGs? If so, do you agree that a decent player will have a much higher ROI than at a 9 or 10 handed SNG with the same buyin? Also, I tend to play really really tight in the first few levels of the 9-handed SNGs... so those of you who play short-handed SNGs, does that strategy still apply, or do you use closer to 6max cash game starting hand requirements? I'm hesitant to switch games since I've spent a decent amount of time learning full ring SNG strategy, but if its true that the 6-handed SNGs are so crushable it seems like they might make more sense.
-Asgrow13