View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be very happy with Miles. I would like Brian Kelly as well. I'd like a first call being made to Tedford (and in an ideal fantasy world, Stoops and Meyer). All academic as it is very, very, very likely it is Les. Meanwhile there will be hand-wringing over recruits wavering. We'll lose a couple. Such is life. It will go on.

I wound up participating in an impromptu interview with a Saginaw sports reporter for the local news station. Hopefully I didn't say anything dumb.

Thanks Lloyd. You were frustrating and could have hired some better assistants (%#$@ Debord) but you were intelligent and a fine leader and representative for the university. You made Sparty "bow down", owned Penn State, and did very well against a strong Wisconsin program. You gave us our only MNC in 50 years. You did well against a host of great OSU teams, although not as well as we'd have liked. Only 1-3 in Rose Bowls, but then that's not a new Michigan tradition. And you went 4-2 against the SEC in bowl games despite their Southern Speed.

Perhaps most importantly, you stepped down at the right time. Unlike PSU and FSU, we don't have a senile old man at the helm that the powers that be can't bring themselves to pull away. Next year is a rebuilding year but there is much talent, the program is still strong and the next coach will have a lot to work with. Enjoy retirement.

Now let's go Les!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always thought Lloyd to be a good man and was starting to feel a soft spot for him. But now I am thankful he coached so poorly in his final game so there can be no doubt his time has come.