View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical Management Decision re: non-tipping patron of restaur

[ QUOTE ]

What % of tables actually cause the waiter grief in the sense they have to take the people's [censored]? I eat out way too much, and I can not remember the last time I saw anyone being out of line with a waiter. If your food is messed up and you want it fixed is that "putting up with people's [censored]?"

Most all jobs have a component of "putting up with people's [censored]" be it customers or co-workers. I really dont agree with this being a special skill of a waiter/waitress.

My main point on this being a low skilled job, is that almost anyone can do it without 4 years of university like many other jobs that dont pay as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I've waited tables before and it isn't a difficult job. It basically requires that you have a pleasant demeanor, an ability to write, and that you be attentive. I'm sure at upscale places the job is harder, but at a chain basically all that is expected of you is to be able to take orders and keep drinks filled.

I certainly think waiters are overpaid, but the only way it will change is if people start stiffing in mass.