View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: my starting strength log

Hey mate, looks like your starting to life weights [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll try help you with your form problems.

Squats: Are you new to these? Even for a beginner, 135lbs may be too much to begin with. If you have really JUST started then I would start with the bar until you feel your form is 100% correct. The knee pain/hip tightness/twisting foot is a sign your form isn't very good and that you need to develop some flexibility. You knee's can pass slightly over your toe's (say half a hands length over them) but your heels must always stay on the ground. The knee should not rotate in wards but does not have to follow a certain path - just do what is natural. The hips should travel backwards as the knee goes forwards - this ensures equal distribution of weight between the posterior chain and quadraceps.

Firstly I would end each session with some hamstring, quadraceps, hip and groin stretches (if you don't know any I'll find a link for you).

Squats, even if you are only using the bar, will still give you great results for months.

Deadlifts: It is very hard to describe deadlift form - I like to think of it as a squat except you are pulling backwards (unlike squats which are pushing). You always want the bar to be as close to your body as possible, so yes it should be on your shins (and some times even scraping them). I wear long socks to overcome this a bit. Go on you tube and watch every deadlift video you can find (except for Kostanov..he has his own way).

The things I CAN tell you is
1) It is a pull - not a push. Quadraceps should not really be working very hard in this exercise
2) its a DEADlift - deload after every rep. Deadlifts are a common way to get injured but it is usually from people who rush their warm up (i saw that!) or rush their sets.

Never go to failure on squats or deadlifts (or even any exercise if you're doing Starting Strength).

Bench press: I noticed you mentioned using a "thumb wrapped over the bar" grip. This is the correct way - never use a false grip for the bench press

Bent over rows: My favourite exercise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You do not need much of a bend at the knee as you bent at the back more then at the knee. Just bend far enough for the bar to clear your knee's - you don't want to kill your lower back doing these when you are already doing squats and deadlifts. Also using a false grip may help improve your mind-muscle connection with your back

Dips: Just do not go too deep, at the lowest point in a dip your shoulder girdle is put under much pressure. As your flexibility grows you may be able to go deeper, but it is common in weight lifting that heavy push work (dips, bench) cause shoulder injuries

Hope that helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Will be keeping track of your progress