View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Question about Beating the Rake

[ QUOTE ]
This is just a quick question because the game I usually play in has recently changed its rake rates and I was curious about whether it was more (or less) profitable for me now. The game is a live $5/5 NL, quite loose, frequently passive, lots of straddlers. The rake is $5/half hour with any pots over $100 being raked $10 (it may be $20 for a pot over $200 - I'm not sure about that one).

The old rake structure was this:
As for the rake any pot $45 -$95=$5.00
$100-$249 =$10.00
$249 or more is capped at $25.00

The reason why I think this new structure may be less profitable for me is because I am forced to play tighter because the table is generally quite loose. Does anyone know if there is an equation of some sort that I could use to evaluate the effect of rake on my profitability?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

For each scenario, estimate the amount of rake that you would pay per hour, based on the number of pots you'd win and the rake from those pots. Add the time charge for the time charge scenario.

It's true that time charges are less favorable than rakes to tight players. However, if the new structure results in less total cash being taken off the table, you might be better off anyway.