View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I wrote a blog on what is confusing me about the proposed legislation I am interested to get the PPA reps views on my opinion.

http://alwaysbluff.com/poker/blogs/b...ls-no-answers/

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, beanie, I read your blog. I like your attitude, but you dont really have a full grasp of the legislation out there. I will try and fill in some details for you.

Altough it is true that PLAYING online poker is only illegal in a few states per state law, whats about to get even more difficult than it is now is the ability to move money to and from the sites - this was the intent of the UIGEA, and unless we change the law, getting your poker money moving through the financial system is going to become difficult or extremely difiicult. Obviously, in this day and age, savvy players will find a way. But the poker economy depends on average players finding a way - that is likely to disappear unless there is a change.

Your blog post seems to confuse the differences between the Wexler "skill games protection act" and the Frank "IGREA." There are a lot of open issues with the Frank bill, which applies to ALL internet gambling, taxes being one (but there are no specified taxes int he Frank bill, those get determined later, do I dont know where your 5% figure comes from), licensing being another, state opt outs being a third.

The Wexler bill, on the other hand, applies only to skill games and specifically includes poker as a game of skill. It allows anyone to offer poker over the internet (provided the sites also have age verification and a few other "safety" protections). Not only does this mean all reputable foreign sites become or remain legal in the US, it also means the US could have its own sites. Taxes do not change under Wexler (a US site would pay US corp taxes, foreign sites pay their own country's taxes, players pay their income taxes). No state can opt out (though it would be an interesting legal states right test as to whether states like WA that already make playing illegal could continue to do so). The Wexler bill does not make the US WTO compliant - but it does not increase our being out of compliance either.

The Wexler Bill is the poker player's perfect legislation. You should support it completely.

The Frank bill has potential, it needs a lot of work to become a WTO compliant bill, and a bill that wont have negative economic impacts on the game. This may well occur as the Frank bill progresses through congress, especially if the WTO orders huge sanctions against the US and congress is forced to act, but we can only wait and see what develops.

But Wexler deserves your full support right now.

Skallagrim