View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I wrote a blog on what is confusing me about the proposed legislation I am interested to get the PPA reps views on my opinion.

http://alwaysbluff.com/poker/blogs/b...ls-no-answers/

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fallacy here is assuming that the government will just ignore poker and online gambling. Many of us assumed this would be the case until last year, when UIGEA showed us differently. If we hadn't stepped up this year, there would be worse legislation out there now. Last year, after UIGEA passed, Goodlatte promised he'd finish what UIGEA started. Our strength has stopped that. That's why we fight.

I think idea of the "status quo" as something stable is a fallacy, in that it cannot exist ten years from now. The U.S. simply won't just allow offshore companies to offer Internet gaming to U.S. residents without responding. This is evidenced by UIGEA and other federal actions against us. There will either be enabling legislation of some sort, limited legalization, or an outright ban. So, comparisons between what we have today and what Frank is offering is a false choice, IMO.

I believe the best way to get the best deal is by a strong demonstration of our strength, so I hope we'll all do that. Thanks.