View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Having a hard time making profits

the number one skill in PLO is money management and tilt control. Okay, the top two skills in PLO are money management and tilt control. You need to accept that you can play perfectly and lose, and that you can play terribly and win. Long break even stretches happen. You just need to focus on playing well, and if you play well the results will get there.

Stealing pots becomes more important as your opponents start calling less. Value betting made hands and playing draws well is important when your opponents call more. Knowing what kind of game you're in and playing appropriately is important, because of this.

PLO can be a really frustrating game. I remember when I first decided to give grinding a shot, and I was playing the .10-.25 game on party and I broke even for my first 20k hands... I was pretty convinced I just wasn't very good, but I went back at it every morning, reviewing the last night's session, checking my equities and my lines, and eventually that little swing turned around and I started winning some 50-50s.

I had a bad first session this month and that made me play bad for my next few sessions, and suddenly I was stuck 35k. Sometimes you need to move down to rebuild your confidence; sometimes you just need to make sure you're playing focused. Being able to get up from a table when you know you aren't playing your A game can be very important; but you can still lose alot of money playing your A game. It's the nature of poker, and of PLO in particular, and it's something you've got to learn to deal with.