View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Police kill Polish man @ Vancouver Airport

K's story of the romanian people worrying about their connecting flight illustrates how a whole chain of problems could ensue if part of your travel plans go awry, and if you're thinking maybe you could prevent that from happening if you could just communicate with someone, it must be extremely aggravating. I could see the frustration mounting up to an extreme.

FWIW, I have never been a fan of cops playing fast and easy with people's necks, whether tasers are involved or not. Or their other joints really, but especially their necks! Choke holds, whatever, it doesn't matter. Anybody involved with applying force to the human anatomy should have a clear understanding of how dangerous it is to do certain things. It's not like one joint is exactly like any other. I can understand if there's really a fight going on that an officer has every right to defend himself, but your response still has to be a responsible one. Being a cop changes nothing about that. If anything, it should hold you to a higher standard.

Once a guy is docile, if you still keep applying pain to him, not only is it simply unethical, but you are very likely to force a defensive and/or panicked physical response from him. That just increases the chance someone will get hurt, including the officers themselves, and might result in unnecessary criminal charges against a citizen who was merely responding like anyone would who was scared, in pain, or both. Applying more force than is necessary is not only bad police work, it's counter-productive.