View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: College App Question: SAT scores vs. GPA

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
being in the same situation as you and going through college crap for the last 2 years and knowing the difficulty of most schools today, you have a very slim chance at a lot of those schools especially stanford.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know that about stanford, but i spent last summer living/taking classes there so i may as well apply on that <5% chance i get in for some reason. berkeley also a reach. the rest hopefully my out of class stuff/800 on math sat/rigor of curriculum will help me enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 800 in the Quant section is not going to do as much for you as you might think. That section is so top heavy that a 800 doesn't really stand out like it would for the verbal section.

However, now that i've seen your course load as you've described above, i'd say that part will go in your favor. The GPA is still too low for most top schools, but you have a good shot at getting into a second-tier program. And you never know, a top-tier school might take you, so apply anyway.

To give you an idea of what the standards are... at UIUC, the average GPA is 3.8 and the average SAT is 2300.