View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Improving On Buffett And Desert Cat

[ QUOTE ]
I will try to rephrase things differently. If there are stocks where my theory isn't true and my technique is unnecessary, then it is also unnecesary to have anywhere near the 50% cushion you require, when investing in these stocks, as long as you have any sort of reasonable value assigning skills.

The above is pure logic. You don't even need to know what a stock IS for it to be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unnecessary for what? Unnecessary for who's goals, yours or his? You don't make your argument correct by invoking magical phrases like, "Amen", "Right on", or "It's pure logic". Let's suppose that, as you say, your theory is not true and your technique is unnecessary. Why does this imply that DC's strategy of only buying bargains at 50% discount to Instrinsic Value is by "pure logic" now obviously too conservative? You use the phrase 50% "cushion". "Cushion" is not the idea. The idea is to do research to find the best bargains possible without insisting on such rare super bargains that you can't find them often enough to put your money to work adequately.

You have to decide on some cutoff point which you think is optimal. DessertCat has settled on buying bargains at a 50% discount. There's no reason why supposing your theory is untrue should imply a change in the optimality of that cutoff point.

If buying at 40% discounts to DC's evaluation of intrinsic value amounts to pulling the cash trigger too fast and missing out on the adequately plentiful 50% discounts that a little more patience and research will uncover then supposing your theory to be untrue does not change that fact. Your Pure Logic is Pure Baloney in this case.

PairTheBoard