View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: How Kenny Tran Rates Internet Players

Fwiw i dont think Kenny is miles off thr truth - in that live poker is not online poker (and visa versa).

But i think it is hard to argue against this statement:

"An online player will find it easier to transition from online poker into live poker than a live player going in the opposite direction"

I call its Phill's Theorum and i think there is a LOT of evidence of the truth of it - note i openly admit it is a gross generalisation and to every rule exists an exception.

I think its hard to argue against the assumption that online players will have better fundamentals than live players - again, im not saying live players all suck because of this, in their games having solid fundamental skills isnt nearly as important as being friendly enough to get in a game and getting the bad players to give up action.

But when it comes to learning to adapt to live play - ie give up some equity here and there to generate action, plus learning to read opponants to make correct laydowns and razor thin calls. You need to be willing to engage opponants and get the upperhand in a war of information and that is why Negreanu is so good at reading people.

Then throw in the fact that the big live games are generally deep stacked and overall the dynamics are different as they are more passive and loose so you have to adjust to that.

Again, i go back to my theorum:

"An online player will find it easier to transition from online poker into live poker than a live player going in the opposite direction"

So right now, Kenny Tran MIGHT be right about who the best 20 live full ring yada yada small print players are - but if the online players took the time to adjust they would be a much better player all round because the foundations are there. They havent learnt bad habits which are compounded by them working enough of the time to seem acceptable whilst the live player doesnt have a tool like pokertracker to analyse these situations right to the minute detail.