View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Re: New Desktop post

Ok, here are some changes I have made based on everyones suggestions:

Components
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6800 (8MB L2 Cache,3.2GHz Factory overclocked) English edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition edit
MEMORY 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz OC'd to 1066MHz-4 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 160GB - WD Raptor 10000RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
SECOND HARD DRIVE 320GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
SOUND CARD Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card edit
GRAPHICS CARD 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
Essentials
PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition edit
INTERNET OFFERS No ISP requested edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE PC-cillin Internet Security with AntiVirus and Spyware removal 36-months edit
MODEM No Modem Requested edit
ONLINE DATA STORAGE 10GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Year edit
FLOPPY DRIVE & MEDIA READER Dell 13-in-1 Media Reader with Bluetooth edit
WARRANTY 1 Year Next Business Day Onsite/In Home Service and Tech Support edit
Accessories
SPEAKERS No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) edit
KEYBOARD Dell USB Keyboard edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Mouse Dell Optical USB Mouse
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
Option 1 No Digital Music Software Requested
Option 2 No Digital Imaging Software Requested

The total of this setup is 4,427 before 15% tax [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I understand that I am overpaying for some stuff like the raptor HD but I have no clue how to install something like that unless its as easy as installing a vid card which Ive done before, plus I dont rly want to spend time doing all that.

I ordered just the one vid card since its all I need for now anyways and Josems ferrai point was well taken, ill just order another card as needed.

One question I do have though... is the HDs I picked a good choice? I dont understand what RAID means, can someone quickly explain what that is and what the benefits are?

I really want the 4k mem and its only 450 more so Im going to go with that,.. advice to have vista use it as it should? I read a little about it online and it sounds like the kind of thing that will be easy to do soon after some drivers come out or something.

I also switched the to get the MS office student edition.. I think that has excel and word maybe... good call?