View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: What kind of impact have we been having on members of Congress

[ QUOTE ]
Reading the latest post of a Congressman's reply to a letter triggered a few random thoughts.

It seems to me that most members of Congress have now had their staff put together a boilerplate response for this issue. Being an optimist at heart, I see this as a positive for a couple of reasons.

First, it seems to indicate that they are receiving a large enough volume of mail to warrant having a stated responses (and in some cases a position) to avoid contradiction and ensure consistency.

Second, it has forced them (or more likely their staff) to become more educated on the entire the issue of Internet gambling. Our letters have debunked most of the standard anti-gambling talking points so they have had to deep deeper in formulating a reply.

At a minimum, we have planted a seed in the back of their minds that hopefully makes it harder for additional legislation to be passed.

Now I don't believe that the tide is about to turn, but I do believe that these letters and phones have had some positive impact for our cause.

Comments are welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just started reaching out to friends on the hill in staff positions. I wanted to have something of a firm grasp of the issues before making those calls. Got a good education here....

So far your impression that there is some visibility but they are in a wait and see mode seems valid. The lack of traction for Fletcher in KY with his stance seems to be the short term focus on the hill in this regard.

D$D