View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: When to give up when you miss

I like it. I especially like that you have a reason for making every action in the hand. You're on your way to becoming an excellent player. Keep it up.

The only street I might play differently is the turn. I sometimes check-raise in that spot. I find that I pick up extra money from missed hands this way (since they will often fire) and I can get folds from the weakest hands more easily, as my hand looks absolutely huge. With so many likely outs (8 straight + overcard) I like this combination.

If he checks behind, hey, I'm still drawing man. I'm happy with that. I give up a bit of fold equity in this case perhaps, but in my experience it's worth the trade.

Note that I check-raise big hands after this action all the time. The whole sequence screams "continuation bet, ok I give up", so the turn is bet by the villain both with made hands (for protection) and with bluffs (to steal from a hand that appears to have missed). When you check-raise, it just as powerfully screams "haha! I trapped you!", which can induce some big folds at times (I judge this by the frequency with which I see think think think think think think think fold).

-eric