View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 02:50 AM

Default QUICK advice needed on Optimal Satellite Strategy - Borgata WPT

I'll be playing in two satellites tomorrow - a $250 satellite that awards one seat for every 40 entrants and a $500 satellite that awards one for every 20 entrants. Both have starting chip stack of 5,000 with blind levels at 25 minutes and 30 minutes for the $250 and $500, respectively

The $250 sat usually has about 4 seats given away. The $500 sat usually awards 6-7 seats.

I have to get to the final table to get a seat for both sats. What is the bet strategy to use in early stages of the tournament when blinds are low relative to chip stack? Should I be in a chip accumulation mode where I take some risks (re-pushing w/ 12 outers on flop, taking on coin-flips via calling all-in w/ PPs, etc). Or should I just be in survival mode where I only play premium hands until I get blinded down and then start using the <10xBB push strategy? Btw, should I perhaps think about lowering my short-stack standards to 6-7 BBs instead? Going into push mode after I hit 10BBs seems to be causing me to become reckless in picking my spots to push.

So far I've been playing chip-accumulation style where I raise alot preflop and put pressure on people postflop. An example of one I played today:

I raise in LP to 300 w/ Tc8c at 50/100 blinds. My stack was around 7,500, his was around 5,000. Flop comes Qc 7h 6c. I bet 1500 and he raises to 1500. I repush and after agonizing for somtime, he calls w/ KcJc and spikes a club on the river. After this hand, I tightened up with my 2500 stack and got dwindled down to 2100 with blinds at 100/200 to which I pushed in BB w/ 8c5c when there were 5 limpers in the pot. Limper from UTG called with AKo and I'm out. Is pushing in BB w/ marginal hands to take down limpers' money a decent strategy to use in a satellite?

Any advice is appreciated Thanks.