View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: the \"you win\" rule

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The purpose of this rule is to preent an angle where someone says "you win" and then attempts to claim the pot if the other player takes that as a cencession and mucks his hand thinking he has won.

[/ QUOTE ]

And creates another angle where a player mucks a probable loser when he hears anything approximating "you win".

[/ QUOTE ]

Cliff Notes follow after my usual blather.

That and the influx of multiple languages being spoken in LA (meaning verbal declarations are often misunderstood) was a reason it was taken out of the 1997 update to the rulebook shared by the big LA County clubs.

But many of the old time floor staff and management still tended to like the "You Win" rule so over time it started sneaking back in "the rules"; usually via the poker manager via memo or an entry into the floor staff logbook.

IMO it tends to create more problems then it solves, at least here in LA. Recently I saw a sign near the podium of Hawaiian Gardens top section that said"The "You Win" rule no longer applies. Cards Speak." I didn't realize it did apply and would never use it either way (as a player).

-------

Cliff Notes: Don't count on such a rule existing or consistent or practical enforcement.

~ Rick