View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: How Do I explain bankroll management?

I believe in the fact that you have to be able to lose at poker to win. You have to be able to accept that you are not going to win every hand and losing when you have your money in ahead is not a bad thing.

My point is that my girlfriend doesnt understand this. If i have a losing session i am labeled a 'loser' in a friendly manner. yet even though my winning session = more $ the day before i have still won one and lost one.

I think your lady, like mine needs to understand that even the best players can lose to the worst players in the short term.

How about playing a simple game as an example of bankroll management (BRM)

give her $1 (this represent your $500) and lets say she is the best player in the world and has 70% chance of winning a hand but she has to put all her money on the line.. take 10 cards ace - ten, shuffle. she picks a card. If an 8 9 or 10 comes she loses otherwise she doubles up. Then play again, again, again. At one point (hopefully) she will lose her whole bankroll.

Be aware that with variance even this test can go wrong.... just keep playing until she loses

now play the same where she only puts down 10% of her bankroll at a time....

i think that will work... but then variance can be a bitch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]