View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Standard Parent Question

Being older has a lot of benefits, but just being around younger people livens older people up. It gives them a lot of energy and reminds them of how much of that optimism and bounce might still lurk inside them. It's invigorating. If I wanted to die quick as an old person, the first thing I would do is surround myself with other old people. If I wanted to stay vigorous and optimistic, the first thing I would do is surround myself with kids. It would just feel better.

To the OP, I think your folks also feel that their own story is getting chopped off before finishing, when you don't help finish it for them. It's natural to think one's story goes on, and hopeful. Having it cut off doesn't give that sense of roundness, of a fully-developed life and complete story. It's bound to be disappointing, even if it's not surprising in the least.

Imagine how many parents of gay kids go through this. A lot of the disappointment they may feel probably has nothing to do with their kids sexual orientation; it just means that unless something a bit odd and still fairly unlikely is done, the story of those parents, and that bloodline with all its parents before it, comes to a quick stop right there. They're one star in the heavenly firmament that just blinked out.