View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Hoi Polloi\'s highly anticipated stat post

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uh, mathematically speaking, yes you would rather be winning the same amount of showdowns but be paying less overall to see showdowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I see how you've framed the problem now. But I also think that someone with a 60% W$SD in aggressive online games would be playing sub-optimatially.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts, Nate, on what the optimal range would be? Also, as you often mention tight/loose image variation, any thoughts how that factor would impact the optimal range?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at about 40% WtSD, 52% W$SD. Naturally, I think this is fairly close to optimal. Sure, I make some sloppy calldowns here and there, but this style works for me, and has always produced some very nice winrates. I don't strive to achieve any particular numbers when I'm playing. They're just the cumulative result of a series of what I believe to be +EV decisions. (Disclaimer: I'm sure my numbers would look a bit different if I was playing 10/20 or something).

I do think my style tends to be associated with a loose table image. I'm not one of those TAGs that "never gets out of line". I can definitely make some plays when I think I have some folding equity. But this encourages my opponents to make some mistakes when all I'm trying to do is get to showdown with a reasonable hand.