View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: How do you rationalize this?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are more ways to win than by making the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct.

Against any reasonable opponent, playing your hands purely based on pot equity and showdown value would be grossly -EV. Unless you're playing against uberdonks, you're going to have to scrape out equity from your low-medium pps and scs when you miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing small pairs on the assumption that you will be able to "scrape out" equity with them is -EV for most players, who, if they took your advice, would be calling far too loosely with them, and losing more money trying to make up for it by working them too hard in the wrong spots. There's a ton of difference between saying "play small pairs only if you have the right pot odds" and "play small pairs only if the implied odds you are counting on are reasonable".

[/ QUOTE ]

lol wtf [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Sir, you are making alot of assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am working only on the assumptions implicit in your post, sir.

[ QUOTE ]
All I'm saying that is you can't always play fit-or-fold with these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is much wiser to play basically fit or fold and take anything else more or less as cream.

[ QUOTE ]
I never said you have to overplay your hands when you miss in order to maximize their value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how else are you "scraping out equity"?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Playing small pairs on the assumption that you will be able to "scrape out" equity with them is -EV for most players, who, if they took your advice, would be calling far too loosely with them, and losing more money trying to make up for it by working them too hard in the wrong spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

So my original statement leads you directly into this conclusion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You suggested that playing these hands soley for their pot-odds value would be wrong, and that you can make up equity by winning in other ways.

[ QUOTE ]
Where did I say you have to call loosely with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand poker at all? Learned how to play yesterday or something?

If you are calling on the basis that you can "scrape out equity" with small pairs, you are calling loosely.

I am not suggesting that this is always wrong. I play small pairs tightly, but that doesn't mean I don't think other players can make money playing them looser.

[ QUOTE ]
Where did I say you have to "work them hard?"

[/ QUOTE ]

"Scraping out" equity is easy?

[ QUOTE ]
Are you seeing things?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only after the third pipe, old chap, if I'm very lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Save the last answer, your logic is completely inverted. You're finding inherent definitions where there aren't any and where they weren't intended, and in the process sculpting my original statement to be wrong in exactly the way you saw it being wrong before you even read it. All I have to say is: Since when is the phrase "scrape out" so narrowly and well-defined. For all I know, it could mean this. You're funny. Thnks Fr Th Lghs