View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Weak leads (way too late pooh-bah?) tl;dr

When I get a free flop in the BB, I'll donk low paired boards sometimes, whether I have it or not. I'll donk to slow down my opponent sometimes, usually with something like midpair + backdoor or TPWK. I donk to start building a pot with a great draw. I donk flopped sets, straights and flushes almost always.

These bad donking guys are often short stacks who caught a piece or are just bluffing. I raise every shortstack (even if I was stealing with junk) until I have a good note. Often, they'll have a note of "habitual donk" well before they do it to me cuz I've seen them do it to others. Frequently, I see these types have bet size reveals strength issues. eg potsize or push=miracle two pair, minbet=some pair or draw or air (or visa versa).

Against aggressive thinking players, you can sometimes feign weakness by, say, using a 1/2 PSB where your normal is 3/4, and get them to come over the top. I've had this work a few times, but I'm not sure if they actually saw me as weak or were going to press the issue anyway. I will bet just less than an even dollar amount sometimes to make my bet look weaker (eg 1.75 instead of 2). No evidence that this works either, but it saves me a quarter when I have air.