View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: AKo in the SB against a large field - early in MTT

I think that the first thing to do is weed out the field by raising the AK even though you are out of position.
Second thing, the check raise on the turn is an ok play because it allows you to see where you are in the hand. It is either a good or bad play in the eyes of most people but I think its ok because you get a feel for where you stand. I would have raised more as to commit yourself to the pot to show extreme strength. I think that something around 550 or 575 would have been an appropriate raise as to push someone off of a ten draw or a weaker two pair Ax.
The large raise is appropriate because you also have the nut flush river draw. I dont even mind the all-in on the river because it puts your opponent on a choice for all their money since you had them covered. Its a very strong play and shows a very strong hand. I think that the first mistake was not raising pre-flop and possibly not raising more on the turn.
But other than that taken into consideration the time in the tourney, a lot of players will limp into pots with Ax and that is why it is necessary to weed them out with stronger hands.