View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: AKo in the SB against a large field - early in MTT

I used to limp quite a bit from the SB with AK and AQ when there were other limpers in the pot. I've gotten away from doing this and the more limpers, the less likely I am to limp.

The problem is that if the flop hits you, it hits you big. If someone outflops you or outdraws you (which is quite frequent even when you do hit) you are going to be putting some substantial money in before you fold. Not only this, but you are out of position. I usually make a substantial raise here, probably about 6-7x the big blind with that many limpers. If you get called, you have a strong hand to play with. I bet almost any flop after that raise and more often than not, will take it down right there, not to mention all the dead money you pick up.

As played, I think I'd bet the turn. With everyone checking the flop, there are any number of weaker holdings that will give you action. Someone might (who knows why) have checked a ten on the flop. Someone could have also hit the ace and someone could just have another high club, perhaps with a pair to boot. If someone made a flush, this is going to be ugly and costly unless you make one on the river. However, by betting out, you face only the bet and raise rather than a bet, check-raise and reraise. Also, by checking the turn you might lose valuable action. There is a general rule that you need a better hand to call than to bet but many players don't follow this. Hands that would call you such as a weaker ace, an angry ten or a praying Qc might not be so quick to bet themselves.