View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: What makes you annoying?

[ QUOTE ]
Trey--

1) I mumble. It's pretty severe. It impedes conversation and just generally makes things tougher for people around me (and me too).

2) I have this nervous habit where I twirl a pen pretty much any time one is in my hand. (And I like to have a pen on me whenever I'm reading, which is very often, and most of the rest of the time I'm in class.) Anyway, I also suck at this activity, and am constantly dropping the pen. This annoys even me, but I can't stop. I'm thinking of buying mittens and wearing them everywhere until I break the habit.

3) Sometimes during a conversation I take these long pauses because I get obsessed with finding exactly the right word or phrase. Often this happens even long after I have a workable substitute in mind. So things just stop as I sit there with a dopey look on my face.

4) When I'm with someone or in a group, I often literally cannot generate preferences in many common situations. Thus the other person or people end up having to decide stuff. Unless they know me well, this also causes second-order annoyances of their worrying that they're imposing on me (and related obvious social stuff). But really I just cannot bring myself to care about the relevant stuff, and when I suspect that others might have significant preferences it causes some psychic trigger that makes even any slight preferences I would otherwise be able to muster totally unavailable.

5) My hearing is well below average. I have to ask people to repeat themselves often. Often I can easily figure out what they said within a second, but I can't keep myself from interjecting before that realization hits.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

solid post