View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Possible Facebook IPO: History reapeating itself?

I think if we start looking away from Facebook and at some of the other startups we start to see some strange valuations.

I'm still wondering how PhotoBucket got bought out at a reported $300 million. I can't figure out how MySpace plans to make enough money to cover the cost.

StumbleUpon is another strange one for me. I can't really figure out how StumbleUpon is worth ~$50mil to eBay. I've never once seen an ad for stumbleupon. Then again, eBay could be acquiring the technology for other uses.

Digg with a ridiculous 200mil valuation which is at least 65x rev and 400x earnings. Of course this reported by Business Week so it's probably full of [censored].

Of course YouTube's successful exit at $1.6bn made me scratch my head. Who really clicks those ads at the lower right corner?! But Google may have other plans.

And then there are all the crazy startups I read daily on TechCrunch that get funded for multiple millions. Some into 2nd and 3rd rounds of VC money.

So far none of these companies have been peddled to the public. So if the VC want to throw their money around then so be it.