View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Bottom set on flop

In the actual hand, I folded pretty quick and didn't really think about it. But afterwards, I thought that I didn't take into account some of the information I had which would turn a fold into a call.

Even though I was in the blind, I still had position on the bettor. It's not likely to get raised behind me since I know the players are passive and its an unraised pot so its only a small percent of my stack. Even tho the limpers behind me aren't that great, they're even worse for the SB (flop bettor). If he gets a call from me and at least 1 other player, how can he fire again without the nuts? He's forced to check and probably fold or check/call the turn on a draw and check/fold the river when he misses.

I think a lot of times, after the flop goes bet-call-call, the turn will go check-pot-fold-fold OR check-check-check river check-pot-fold-fold.

I do have the redraw to a higher str8 and backdoor flush .(I'm aware thats not much, but still has some small value depending on the action. The 5 and 9 are also blockers to anyone drawing to a str8.)

If I hit quads vs 77/88 I will get a whole stack. If I fill up, I'll get paid some amount against one of the loose passive players if they have a str8 or make a flush.

Not sure about the minraise idea because it reopens the betting for the SB who has a smallish stack. I don't want him to 3bet or to be priced in if I could keep the pot smaller now to bluff/value bet later.

Maybe all this doesn't add up to a call, but I think it does. Bottom set from EP on a str8 flop with flush draw facing agression is usually an easy fold. In this case, I feel like the situation and my reads make it a call.