View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: *** Official Spanish Primera Division 2007-2008 ***

[ QUOTE ]
Wiki says it was a heart attack. No idea how reliable that is or if you guys have seen it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess he had two. One was on the pitch. I thought it was a seizure but I was mainly going off of online spanish dictionaries because I have no clue about medical terms unless they are obvious, which basically means that the English word is from Latin. It could also be that initial reports thought it was a seizure but it was really a heart attack. Honestly it looked bad at the time but I thought he would be ok since he recovered alright afterward. The trainer/medical guy immediately called for a sub but Puerta walked off if I recall correctly. I mean, he did look dazed and a little out of it and not ready to keep going but it didn't look life threatening afterward. To be honest it did look to me like it was a seizure based on having seen them four or five times.

Something I don't get about this whole thing is that everything I've read said that Drago and the medical people kept him from swallowing his tongue but I thought that was an urban legend. Maybe they were really moving the tongue to keep his airway clear? I guess I could be wrong or it could just be really widespread.

BTW I have to commend the Betis fans. On the Sevilla message board I frequent (http://www.hastalamuerte.net) fans from several teams have come in and said they wish the best. In particular there have been several Betis fans that have said things like that they hate Sevilla with a passion but would want to see Sevilla win the league and Betis be relegated if it meant that Puerta could come back. There are also links to a few Betis message boards where there are threads about it and every single post on them is either a Betis fan saying they hope he is ok or Sevilla fans thanking the Betis fans. It's pretty nice, though somewhat sad that it takes something like this to see that even the most intense rivalries aren't particularly meaningful when it gets down to it.

I haven't shed them yet, but have been on the brink of tears multiple times last night and today. It's horrible news in any case, but Puerta was like Sevilla's son since he was born and raised in Sevilla and came up through the youth squad.

For those who haven't seen it here's a video of what happened on the pitch to Puerta.

OK so that shedding thing is no longer the case. I just watched the extra-time goal from the 2006 UEFA Cup Semifinal for probably the 200th time.