View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting

All I can say is Wow. Terrible news, Frank was a sweetheart of a guy and no one deserves to lose their life in such a horrible way. I got a phone call after it happened but didn't hear the name til this evening. My heart goes out to his family and I really hope the NYPD catches the scumbags asap.

As for the comments about it being easy to keep the games secure, you can only do so much if a person or group of people is really that determined to hit the spot they are getting in. You can't expect the bouncer who is earning a few hundred dollars to risk his life, I know in a perfect world he would be able to keep them out but unfortunately for Frank it's harder than it seems. And it's almost impossible to know who's getting invited to a game, you would like to think that you can trust the people you have played with for years but you never know, desperate people commit desperate acts and people talk and talk and talk no matter how much you stress to them that their discretion is required. I bet that train to AC will be packed every trip, players need to feel safe and if it means spending a few dollars and wasting a few hours travel time it is worth it.

Say goodbye to poker in NYC, this will only give the powers that be more of a reason to go after clubs and operators, you won't get any of the close minded legislators to realize that anytime you make something illegal you create an underground that operates with different rules and standards. It's so silly to think that we can't play in State licensed rooms that are able to provide the protection we deserve. It's a win win for everyone involved but sadly I don't think it will ever happen in NY.

God Bless ya Frank