View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Journal: I want to be a sexy rocket

2g per pound is a good start for bulking. I prefer to use percentages of total calories to determine the amount of protein/carbs/fat to eat in a day. A very good ratio is 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat, although this is more for the super-dedicated, nutjob people who want to gain mass with as little fat as possible (i.e. 400g protein/day for your 3200 cal regime, which can be very difficult). You can definitely be more lenient. But let's take a look at your Thursday tallies:

Thursday

total calories 3200
fat 123g
carbs 316g
protein 217g

This works out to:

protein: 217g * 4cals = 868 cals = 27% of total cals
carbs: 316g * 4cals = 1264 cals = ~39% of total cals
fat: 123g * 9cals = 1107 cals = ~34% of total cals

That's too much fat and not enough protein. You will still gain mass from eating like that, but a good bit of it will be fat instead of muscle. Let's look at a sample using the 2g/lb guideline, which should be a good compromise for you. 2g * 150lbs = 300g per day.

protein: 300g x 4cals = 1200 cals = 37.5% of total cals
carbs: 300g x 4cals = 1200 cals = 37.5% of total cals
fat: 90g x 9cals = 810 cals = 25% of total cals
(3210 calories total)

Since you're getting over the 200g protein mark, I don't think it would be too hard to reach the 300g mark. Eat more meat (chicken, turkey, lean cuts of beef/pork), add an extra scoop of protein to your shake or an extra shake per day, add some egg whites to your eggs (good way to cut back on fat + add protein = make your eggs with 2 whole eggs + 4 whites, then throw some hot sauce on it of course). Might want to switch to a reduced fat milk too.

Your carbs seem to fluxuate around 300g except for that one day at 375 (might have to watch those sodas) so that shouldn't be a big problem. Will just have to try and cut back on the fatty foods.

The emphasis on protein is because if you are lifting weights your muscles need lots of it to grow properly. I know your goal is to add some pounds, I just don't know if you want it all to be muscle or if you just want the extra weight.