View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: What makes you annoying?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if* that makes you annoying or not either, but I am very very lame, so at least you're right this time.

*:someone arbitrarily correct this from 'if' to 'whether' pls

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you brought it up, when you use "whether," you don't need to follow with "or not." It's redundant. Either you are or you aren't. So you can just say: "I don't know whether that makes you annoying ..."

See, I can't help myself. The last thing I wanted this to turn into was a grammar conversation, because my grammar is far from perfect as many have pointed out. I get that this habit is annoying and stupid and lame. It's the habit I most want to kick.

For the record, I do it almost exclusively to close friends and family, kind of like a game where I try to catch them in a grammar mistake. But the only one having fun in the game is me, and it took a long time to realize that. It's more of an OCD thing now. It's small and pretentious and demeaning and exposes my inner weakling. I get it.

[ QUOTE ]
So OP is a nit and argues for sport. He interrupts people while talking 3 times louder than acceptable.

Damn, you need to work on this man. I've met people like this and it's hard not to get into a physical altercation with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an expert in observation. Congratulations. I bet you're good at pointing out drunks at an AA meeting.

[ QUOTE ]
What I do that is annoying is I rarely call people back, and I'm bad about checking my voice messages. Also, when leaving a get-together, I hate small-talk and goodbyes, so I try to just duck out and be on my way. It's no disrespect meant, I just hate small-talk. My boss probably finds me annoying because I won't kiss his ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're an inconsiderate friend who can't take five minutes to thank a host or say hello. You can't be bothered with casual conversation, and justify this by calling anyone who can make small talk an ass kisser.

You really need to work on this, man. I have friends like this who wonder why nobody has called them in five years.

See how that works, asshat?

---
I also get defensive when complete strangers point out issues I brought up in the first place.