View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I was cashman and I spent years putting up with George's interference, and then finally got increased control after threatening to leave, and built up a great crop of young players, and then saw the very best one traded by some [censored] a couple months after he takes over... I would probably be [censored] pissed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was Cashman, I'd be ecstatic. Through my rebuilding of the Yankees farm system, I'd have acquired the best pitcher in baseball at the age of 29. Not only that, but I'd still have numerous legitimate prospects that could be important parts of the future Yankees teams for years to come.

Sure, Hughes is a great PROSPECT, but Santana has proven for years that he is a dominating, frontline starter. If Hughes pans out, he is AT BEST what Santana already is. If the Yankees end up acquiring Santana, I don't see how anyone can deny that the Yankees are closer to winning a championship. Isn't that what it's all about if you are a Yankees fan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it depends on who is calling the shots on whether hughes will be included or not, and whether cashman supports it or not... but a lot of the reports I've seen say there was a lot of debate within the organization and certain people voiced strong objections to including him but were overruled, and that person that was overruled was cashman. If it is the case that Cashman didn't want to make him eligible in a package but was ignored, my point makes sense. If he is the one who wants to be aggressive obviously it doesn't. But I think that if Hank is overruling Cashman there is a significant chance of him going to another team, and that would end the period of being responsible and smart and turn into Hank being a douchebag nutso. Based on his immature Torre and Arod comments I am completely convinced he is bad for the club if he doesn't keep his nose out of key decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cashman overruled Hank and Hal during the managerial decision. They wanted Mattingly, he wanted Girardi and he got his way. So I'm not entirely sure Cashman has lost all power within the organization.