View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: The Ultra-Fi thread

[ QUOTE ]
Nielsio - I'm curious why you don't have a direct IS2 USB dac instead of the Spdif connection. Aren't they supposed to be way better on the jitter front? Examples are like the one you showed (That Scott Nixon) and of course the Gordon Rankin Wavelength models.

[/ QUOTE ]

My DAC is a little older than the USB variants. Bert Doppenberg was one of the first with a USB DAC, the TwinDAC+ ( http://bd-design.nl/contents/en-us/d37.html ). I heard it and it sounded good (obviously). It seems a good and easy solution (requires no soundcard anymore). However in my case I can't really use it. My (digital) equalizer sits between the computer output and the DAC. It's a vital part of the system. You could fit the DAC with a reclock, but I find battery powering it makes it really stellar all around anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm convinced a good lossless, PC audio based system is the way of the future. No more spinning discs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still regretting my sale of my JM Lab Daline speakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always get/make something better [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I miss having a great system, but for now a good headphone based system will have to do. May get that Scott Nixon Dac to tide me over.

I really, really, really want those MBL's though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this speaker, except for seeing it on pictures somewhere sometime. I checked it out now to understand what the hell it is.

It's 4-way. It crosses at 105, 600 and 3500 hz. Sounds like Piega, probably. It's sick expensive. I don't get why it's omnidirectional. They don't have to be (see Piega), and it certainly doesn't add anything besides problems. It requires a shitton of filtering, and an insane amount of amp-juice. I imagine this speaker sounding dull (like Piega). I have heard some good Magnepans (the huge kind) in the past though (not entirely sure how I'd judge them now); which seems like a better/simpler choice.

When you have a such a multi-way, low efficient system, it might sound pleasant/clean because of the electrocoils (or how do you call that), but it loses it's bite/slam; the uberdirectness you need to make it sound real.