View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Info on Selling a Used Car

When I sold my car on CL, I just washed it and cleaned it out well. Didn't get it detailed or anything.

It was a 1993 Mitsu Eclipse that was overheating (needed new radiator and thermostat), which I included in the ad. I was only asking $800 at the time. I think they limit you to four pics. I included all the details about the car in the ad. Also was honest about the condition of the exterior (average, some minor dents, scratches, surface rust) and the interior (excellent - no tears or stains on the upholstery).

I made sure I got a copy of everyone's drivers license who test drove it (there was only 1 anyway) and she paid cash.

The one mistake I made was not going to transfer the title with her, should have insisted on it.

Not long after the sale I was getting 2nd notice parking tickets in the mail and I got an impound notice also.

I got all that [censored] cleared up, but it was a pain in the ass. Phone calls, trips to the DMV, paperwork...

If I had to do it again I would insist the transaction take place when the DMV is open and accompany the buyer to the DMV to transfer the title.