View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: How to Convince Someone to Take School Seriously?

[ QUOTE ]
I wish there was a class in highschool that prepared you for college. Then again I know that isn't possible because the stuff my brother needs to know is something you can't really teach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is something best taught by parents. Not necessarily by lecturing their children, but by not coddling them and in turn making them work their ass off during high school between school, work, and sports. That is how I developed some type of work ethic and gained a broader scope of the importance of school and not being a lazy bum.

Of course - I know nothing about your own or your brother's upbringing or family - so this might not be applicable. I am far from being a psychologist; this is simply what helped me while growing up. It seemed "growing up" a bit during high school made the "freedom" of college much easier to handle. I noticed many of my more coddled/spoiled friends and cousins doing stupid [censored] their first couple years of college, while it seemed like a more natural transition for myself.

This is coming off rambly - I just thought I would share my .02! Best of luck to your brother, hopefully he will get his act together soon like you clearly did.