View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: What mental skills or functions would you say are important in poker?

[ QUOTE ]
Well now we are talking Semantics. So, let’s use the Dictionary Definition of greed. "Greed is selfish, excessive or uncontrolled desire for or pursuit of money, wealth, food, or other possessions". I think the word uncontrolled says it all. Greed can harm good judgment, and I think you will find most successful pro poker players have little greed.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me see, I carefully explained how I intended my use of the word greed to be interpreted in context and you pull out a specific dictionary definition (one of many in case you had to search for the one you liked) and say it is only semantics?. I am pretty sure you have no clue as to what it takes to win at poker but good luck with that dictionary.

Here are some for you from dictionary.com:

1. excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions
2. An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth
3. excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves
2. reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins) [syn: avarice]

Now that I've searched 5 online dictionaries I see none of them uses "uncontrolled" I think you are the one with a fantasy and lack of control.

Like it or not greed is important to be a winning poker player

Jimbo