View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: General question: Overpair on a drawy board

Haven't read jstill's response yet, though I'm sure its gold.

FWIW, I don't cont bet on medium drawy flops with overpairs. Its just asking for trouble. Ideally we'd like to price draws out with a nice 2/3 to pot sized cont bet. the problem is that we're not repping anything and draws will push back regardless. When people dont have draws they fold. when they do they tend to checkraise or make other moves that generally make life difficult for us (the other bad spot is when villain has a draw and check/calls planning to shove any turn with a 1-2 pot sized stack)

given this draw/no draw dichotomy of lines that forms, a better plan is usually to check behind the flop and then try to price a way to showdown. By skipping the cont bet in this kind of spot, we reduce the implied size of the final pot, induce bluffs from air and draws, and may induce calls from weak one-pair hands that put us on AK and check again.

This flip-flops back to cont bet land when we have redraws though.

If we have a hand like Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on a T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] board then we should be cont betting because we can re-suck if we're behind, peel when villains checkraise, and generally be happier building bigger pots with an overpair, position, and extra equity.

to answer the original question I fold with no reads, then ask villain in chat what he had.