View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
jeffnc, thanks for the info on the bet sizing.... but if you bet 1/2 to 2/3 the pot, you get to a much smaller stack size being played safely... i think the whole hook of this book is that you can play pretty good sized stack with AK hitting A on flop.... seems like alot of outstanding players seem to advocate much smaller bets. of course, they are outstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, no. The whole hook of the book is definitely not that you should be playing big bets and big stacks with AK / Axx. The whole hook of the book is that you should pay attention to things like SPR to help you decide if that's what you want to do. In fact, they specifically use SPR examples to show you that in many cases you should keep the pot small (by checking, little bets, or whatever) so that you don't build a big pot or achieve awkward/dangerous SPRs.

I didn't mean to mislead - I don't mean to say you should always be out there betting, according to the book. The 3/4 - 1 pot size bets are basically for looking at SPRs with the most clean numbers - looking at how preflop raises will affect the postflop pot size and SPR, and using that to determine if this is a hand you can get stack committed with. Often, of course, you won't. SPR isn't about committing your stack with constant pot sized bets. It's just that the numbers are more convenient that way when working out "commitment betting", but they never say you should always be committing.