View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Re: healthy foods i can make in big batches

Here is my diet so far and I am going to be seeing a strength and conditioning coach who also gives nutritional consultation.

Things that I like to make in large batches for myself that I find are healthy and some borrowed from friends.

Mega Cereal Mix:
Base is special K, I add in dried Banana chips, oats, and a nut mix that I get from a market. It tastes good, has a bit of everything in it and never get bored of it. You can add other items for different taste and to add other nutritional items to it.

Vegetable Mix:
Cut carrots, celery, brocoli, whole cherry tomatoes, whole green beans, mix in a can of chick peas. Other variations of this are green peppers cut, red kidney beans but typically you want foods that will not degrade over 4 or 5 days. Easy to prepare and I eat vegetables a few times a day, [censored] salad. Use a light balsamic vinagrette for it.

Chicken Breast:
You can mix this any way you want, make a lot, season it and throw it in the fridge

baby potatoes unskinned, boil them, throw them in the fridge, they last for a good 5 days at least

Rice: don't use the minute rice, well that's just my preference really, you can make lots and store in fridge for 5 or 6 days

Aside from that, a loaf of bread goes a long way with flavoured tuna (spicy thai chili) and I also like to make egg sandwiches using omega 3 egg whites (whatever it's called that comes in a small cardboard container ready to make), I have a container that is the same size as a slice of break, I throw that with a bit of milk in it and microwave it. Throw on some light mayonaise and I now have an egg sandwich in less than 2 minutes.

All of this is cheap, easy to make, leaves less of a mess in terms of dishes and I find is healthy enough for my needs and I don't get bored of it.