View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Re: A Modern Reading List for High School?

[ QUOTE ]
No prob, we have 'years' here which start at 'year 1' for 4/5 years old etc, so my 11 year old is just about to start 'year 7'.

On Writing - a bit dry for this age really. Good for the aspiring writers though. I think King can be a good writer for this age though, if you pick the story wisely. I was wondering about 'The Green Mile', actually...

Hobbit is about 200 pages, and apart from the opening 35 pages which is a tea party essentially, is pretty action packed, funny, entertaining. The section where Gollum and Bilbo have a riddle competition is a classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steven King has been mentioned more than once. I have a slightly different proposal.

To show that good writing is good writing. First, pick a "typical" short story of his that is a little scary or whatever. Next (and suddenly I can't come up with the title), the story of his son's run at the Little League World Series.

I heard this as a book on tape, and I was rooting for his son, as riveted as I have ever been by a short story. Amazing, absolutely great writing! Definitely something that kids not much older than the protaganist can relate to.