View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Received very strange check from Absolute

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just got the same type of check from Absolute as well. My bank wouldn't cash it and told me I'd have to take it to collections which would be a fee of at least $100. Sounded like BS to me, but that's what they said. They said if I was in Germany I could cash it. I don't understand, don't international checks get processed daily? I don't know what to do and was hoping someone here would have some advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak to a supervisor or get a new bank.

All, checks are checks. As long as it is from a legit bank in a first world country, it doesn't matter what country it comes from. This one even happens to have a branch in New York. A hold is one thing, refusal is ridiculous.

I suspect many of you look like kids trying to pull a fast one or at least that's what the teller sees. Don't be afraid. Get a supervisor, tell them it's a legitimate check from a legitimate business transaction and you want it deposited. Again, there may be a longer than normal hold but it should be taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Collections is what a bank does for international checks. The bank sends check to forgien bank to be paid ie collected. Once the bank gets money from bank they give it to you. This is a standard banking practice and takes time. Not regulated by government as to time frame like US checks. This is why regs were written regarding time frames for US banks. Banks used to make funds availale when they felt like it.