View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Class help- Game Theory

That crazy V looking thing means "all" ya? For all games i...

That's cool, but can the guy at least say what it means? Are students really supposed to have that background knowledge? It's hard because I have no idea what kind of educational experiences the other people in the class have had, so I don't know if I'm in way over my head (this is at LSE btw, so I presume people at are at least moderately intelligent, besides myself of course).

I just got my first problem set. Here's an example question:

Exercise 1.2: The game dominoes is played on a board m x n squares, where players alternately place a domino on the board which covers two adjacent squares that are free (not yet occupied by a domino), vertically or horizontally. The first player who cannot place a domino any more loses.

a) Who will win in 3x3 dominos?
b) Who will win in m x n dominos when both m and n are even?
c) Who will win in m x n dominos when m is odd and n is even?
Justify your answers.

a) Player two.
b) Player two.
c) Player one.

I'm nearly sure that those answers are all correct. The problem lies in the justification. What the hell does that mean? For example, with part b, can I just show a 2x2 game in which player two is obviously winning then just say that increasing to 4x4 simply increases the amount of 2x2 blocks? I mean I think that's what the guy was getting at with his G+Z"="G or (G+H)+K"="G+(H+K). The problem is I can't really wrap my mind around it (the proofs included), let alone be able to play the proper strategy just by thinking about the game. Like ya I can play optimal Nim now, but I sure as [censored] wouldn't have been able to figure it out in an exam setting.