View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Best MSNL Coaches

i got coached by mdma for 10 2 hour sessions. since then my approach to poker has changed dramatically and i have been introduced to a whole new way of thinking about all kinds of situations.
however, despite MDMA being a good coach, once i finished the lessons i found myself taking concepts he taught me and taking them too far and even misapplying them pretty much entirely which damaged my winrate quite a bit. which is why i would say to people looking to get coached, even a great coach is not going to magically transform you into a msnl dominator. they can help you to think about things differently and open your eyes to new plays, styles etc that have the potential to greatly improve your game, but in the end it really is up to you. its still taking me a lot of time and effort to refine what i learnt and apply everything correctly. i am still tweaking my game a lot, but for a short while after i finished coaching i let myself lapse into a lot of bad habits and im only recently dragging myself out of them. it would have been easy for me to blame my coach for this, but that was just not the case. they cant do everything for you, and the truth of it was that i just got lazy and figured by being shown these new ideas i could just get sloppy and still crush the games without really working at it. i am now realising how much work on my part it takes to beat todays games for a solid winrate.

having said this, i would like to add that MDMA was/is a fantastic coach. in particular what i liked was his ability to answer every question that i lined up for him in a clear and concise manner. also, he seemed to be interested in actually helping me improve and was happy to help out with hand analysis outside of our designated times for no extra charge. i will be trying to book in some more lessons soon as i would really like to brush up my game and get some feedback on my progress, although from what i hear this might be pretty difficult [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]