View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One absolute vocal monster who hasn't been mentioned yet is Eva Cassidy. It's a real shame she died young and before she really got the acclaim she deserves. She just kills on some of her recordings:

Wade in the Water -- this is pretty easily the best recording of this song that I've ever heard.

Honeysuckle Rose -- when it was written back in the early days of jazz, this was a fairly quick hot jazz number. I love her down-tempo change of pace.

Stormy Monday -- I can't honestly say that this is the best recording I've heard of this particular song. It's been done so many times by so many legends. However, she still hangs with them.

Time After Time

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also going to add another that wasn't in my EDF post. Her recording of Songbird is a deeply moving track from her pop side. This track is a must-listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi MrWookie,

Ok I've listened to all your songs and have to say that you have very nice taste. This is the kind of music that I could listen to while at work. I might go buy one of her CDs. Of the songs you gave us my least favorite was Stormy Monday. Not that it was bad, I think I just don't like that song is all.

Honeysuckle Rose is very upbeat and and her voice is totally in command. I liked it a lot.

My favorites were Wade in the Water and Songbird. She has sort of a sultry voice, perfect for the blues, which I like very much. I immediately recognized Songbird from a Fleetwood Mac album. Isn't that a Christie McVie song? Very beautiful and her version of it might even be better than McVie's [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Thanks for sharing the links and introducing me to a great female artist.