View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Odds of set over set are???

For argument's sake, let's say that you have middle set (say the flop is J72 and you have a set of sevens) and are against one opponent who's range you can miraculously, with 100% accuracy, narrow down to all pairs, KJ+ and AJ+.

Ie. there are 134 combinations of cards that he could hold under this range (unless I have made some stupid counting error). For set over set to occur, your opponent has to have a set of 2s (you win) or a set of Js (he wins). There are 3C2=3 combinations of cards that could yield each possible set. So if you have middle set, then the probability of set over set occuring is 6/134 or about 4.5%. The probabilities that you lose set over set and win set over set are each 2.25%.

Having typed all that I've just read Cobra's very similar response and feel a little stupid for doing all that (but I've spent too much time to just not post it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). I perhaps ought to read all responses before posting myself.

As a guide:

(a) I don't think you should ever lay down any set on a rainbow board against one opponent.

(b) I don't think you should lay down bottom set on a rainbow board against multiple opponents without a great read.

(c) I don't think you should ever lay down middle set because bottom set is as likely a possibility (probably not strictly true but close enough), which you crush.

(d) You should only lay down top set when playing against me.