View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM

Default You never know where you are

More days of bad cards, bad play and bad luck. I can't get rid of the blues, but the whites seem to be going pretty fast. (And grays and browns, whatever the lowest denomination chips.)

Something I'm seeing a lot is the most incredibly passive play. Sometimes it's scary, most times okay, and all times it's weird.

Lately more and more people are playing big hands so passively that when they turn over the cards, you have to do everything you can to keep from saying, "what??? You gotta be kidding me! Uh, at what point did you think you're hand was no good?"

Several times I've been playing something like A9 on the button strongly, only to have the CO turn over AK. No raises, no reason to think my A9 isn't good.

One time, I hit my straight on the river, K high. I turn it over and the lady directly to my right turns over AQ and says, "mine's bigger." Huh??? You had AQ all this time and never raised?

Believe it or not, I saw a lady call the river with a Royal, a few days ago. Her I did have to ask, "did you think you were beat?"

This is happening more and more. People are so afraid of being sucked out on and content to just win the pot, whatever is in it, that you never know where you are in a hand. Raises mean nothing in small stakes games, so they just sit tight. It can make playing in these games like walking through a mine field. You not only have to dodge a lot of outs from the loose players, but then your hand might not even be good if you make it.

The one good thing is they don't charge you the maximum for playing your hand. The times when they will be on the losing side, you are charging them. The difference can be seen as profit. How much if any is an open question?

CJ