View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Interpreting HR4411

[ QUOTE ]
Again, it doesn't make it a crime for Americans to gamble, or to send money to poker sites, or to send money to Neteller.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read the phrase
[ QUOTE ]

"Sec. 5363. Prohibition on acceptance of any financial instrument for unlawful Internet gambling

`No person engaged in the business of betting or wagering may knowingly accept, in connection with the participation of another person in unlawful Internet gambling-- [money].

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand that this 'in the business' is understood to mean the poker sites or the sports book. But, I get a bad feeling that an aggressive Justice Department could go after poker pros. Aren't they 'in the business' of betting and wagering?

I'm very interested in more analysis of what this law actually means to the individual gambler. If it's true that the law doesn't provide any penalty for our participation in real money online poker, or for slipping around banking rules restricting money movement, then maybe it's not as bad as I feared. If there's no penalty for continueing to deposit and play, then maybe a fairly substantial number of people will keep playing.

B.