View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Post draw bet from the bb? 5CDL

First off, just so that I understand.. is Hj the CO (I'm assuming short for hijack?)... just curious.

Anyway, I'd like to remind that, while the math is wonderful, and one of the things that make 5CD such a profitable game, don't forget table image, etc. If you're always betting trips into a 1-card post, people will start to toss 2pr's that they might have been limping with.

Situation, CO/button normally raises his AAs-up, but since there's only one limper, he decides to slow play. Since he didn't raise, ppl will put him on a draw; they might bet into him unimproved (or even improved) thinking that he'll just fold if he missed, and that they can comfortably fold to a raise. But this way, instead of just winning the antes, he's getting a bigger pot (say someone wants to "keep him honest" post and calls w/ just a pair hoping he was on a missed draw).

Any ho... here you come as the BB betting into him post. He might have expected a bet more from the limper than the BB. The BB has to go through 2 people OOP. And, if he's a playa, he might actually have notes on you (or my handy-dandy tracker, once I get it finished =)) ), and find that you will not bet less than, say AAs-up from the BB. Well, since he has two of the aces, he can pretty much fold.. even if he's wrong, he only lost a small bet.

I, personally, don't advocate trapping pre w/ less than a flush (straights can lose to a flush easy), why give free cards when people pay a raise way too often?

That said, I have no problem trapping post. I have found that when I bet from the BB or SB, it's like a fold fest (suppose I should try it more often..?), so I tend to trap more from those positions. Just had one today in PL.. 3 limpers and I'm in the SB w/ a gut-shot str. I just need a big blind post to have my odds.. I just have to be careful of other one-cards in case I get beat by a flush. I hit, and everyone 3-cards except the button, who 1cards. I checked. CO bet, button folded (yippee), so, I check-raised... blink, blink.. call. Beautiful [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I should never have been allowed to draw (ie someone should have raised), but then to call a check-raise from a 1card.. I just say "thank you" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]